In college, before I knew Drew, I knew Drew’s hair. It is
amazing. It has a life of its own. It is the reason I married him. Honestly,
what girl could say no to this mop?
Our first date ever. I lured him to my apartment with the
promise of brownies. ;)
That said, now that we are old and respectable and have jobs
with dress codes, sometimes I have to say something. And oddly enough, when I
turned to him the other night and said, “You’re starting to look like the super
villain from a cartoon, but I can’t remember his name,” he knew exactly who I
meant. This guy.
And that is when you know you need a haircut. When the Syndrome comparisons start. ;)
We have a cheap salon within walking distance of our
apartment, but Drew’s been so busy this week that he never had time to
get over there. Coincidentally, when I saw this post on DIY haircuts on Young House Love – one of my favorite house blogs! - I thought, “I could do that!” And despite a disastrous DIY haircut in college
from one of his buddies, Drew was game/brave enough to let me take a whack at
it, provided we wait until this weekend so he would have time to go to the
salon “if need be.” The lack of faith in my (untested) abilities aside, he had himself a deal!
I picked up a $20 kit from CVS, which included a
razor, all the numbered guards, and a pair of terrible scissors that I
immediately threw out. Still, I thought it was pretty reasonable considering it would
(hopefully) pay for itself in one haircut. (The cashier was all excited. “Oh!
You know how to cut hair!” “I’m going to learn,” I said. ;)
I whipped out the kit's tiny barber cape and set up shop in our tinier kitchen. Drew was a little
nervous.
Syndrome? Yes? Can you see it? :)
But once he started up an episode of Top Gear on his iPad, I
think he forgot I was there. Which was good, because I was nervous too! ;)
In defense of whoever cut his hair last, he has a crazy cowlick on the lower left. It really wasn't as uneven as it looks.
I have never cut anyone’s hair before – other than chopping
my own bangs too short – so I started off slow. He usually gets a #4 cut on the
back and sides, but I started off with a #6. Just in case. ;) Once I felt
confident with the razor, I switched to a #4 blade and had at it. Then I cut
the top with scissors – a sharper pair from my craft drawer – and tried to blend the
best I could. (The YHL post has a video that explains it really well. I definitely recommend watching it.)
I was still clipping when Top Gear ended an hour later, and I
had to speed up because, without the dulcet tones of Jeremy Clarkson ringing in his ears, my client started to fall asleep. (“It’s like
getting a head massage.”) When I let him look at himself in the mirror, I think he
was pleasantly surprised! I had to clean up his neck a little bit this morning,
but other than that, I think my career as a stylist is off to a roaring start.
Not too shabby for a first try! I need to invest in some good scissors and a broom, but I think we (and by that I mean he ;) have many more home hair cuts in our future! :)
Have you ever cut someone else's hair? Or let someone other than a stylist touch your own? (I'm too scared to try! ;)


No comments:
Post a Comment