Thursday, May 24, 2012

Cancer No. 8: Check-ups

Remember this girl?


This is me with two thyroids - and super-long hair! - mere minutes before I put on that enormous, grape-colored hospital gown in my right hand, but many hours - they were running late, which is not very nice when they won't let you eat - before the anesthesiologist actually asked me to count down from ten.

I made it to seven. Staunch Stuff, right here. ;)

I haven't posted anything about my thyroid in over a year because, well, there hasn't been anything to say. (And thyroidectomies are not sexy, no matter how fun you try and make them sound.) My neck healed seamlessly except for one small spot over my neck muscle, and if you don't know it's a scar, you'd probably just think it's a zit or something. (The only people who've ever made comments to me are people who've had the same surgery and recognize the mark. We always compare "I got this in a bar fight" stories. ;)

Anyway, this is just a quick update to say that, one year later, 'Rightie the Mighty' is still knockin' out enough TSH and T4 for all of us. (Which is an awesome thing to brag about when Mr. C and I go running. "Boy, you have two thyroids. I only have one. You can run faster than that!") I got my blood levels checked today for the first time since last summer and everything is still normal. (I also found out I have aMAzing cholesterol. I am old enough to need that checked now? *shiver*) I am so grateful for normal check-ups again. :)

(Miss the whole gory story? You can check it out here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment