What is this, you ask?
It came about innocently enough. The grocery budget is
shot-to-bits at the moment, so I’m trying to use up everything in the house. I
ripped this recipe for slow-cooker beef chili out of Everyday Food ages ago and, lo and behold, actually had a pound of
Angus stew meat hanging around in the freezer. (Much to Drew’s chagrin, we
don’t eat a whole lot of red meat. I tell him chicken’s healthier, but really
it’s just cheaper. ;) Per the norm, I didn’t have all the ingredients in the
recipe, but I improvised and somehow created a keeper. They’ll be no going back
to ground beef chili after this!
Sarah’s Lucky Strike
Chili (Yes, I renamed it. Because I am just that proud. ;)
adapted from Everyday Food's Slow-Cooker Beef and Black-Bean Chili
1# stew beef chunks, cut into ¾ chunks
12 oz. tomato
sauce (I just used half a jar of Ragu. Nothin’ fancy.)
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 Vidalia onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 T. chili powder (Don’t be scared! This much chili powder
made me nervous too!)
2 t. salt
¼ t. pepper
1 c. water
1 c. Coke (Classic. No Diet or Zero, please. You’ll throw
off my recipe. ;)
Put everything in a crock pot and mix together. Cook on high
for six hours or low for eight hours. Viola! Martha suggests serving it with sour cream, but I just made some brown rice to ‘carb it
up’ a bit. Amaaazing. I should not follow directions more often. ;)
Do you make chili? How do you do it?
No comments:
Post a Comment