Isn’t it amazing how quickly stuff just piles up? Yesterday, I took our second, post-move carload to Goodwill, which was in addition to the two carloads we took prior to ever leaving Pennsylvania. Where does this stuff come from? Sadly, I don’t know, because I don’t even remember what most of it was.
Well, no. That’s not true. I do know where some of it comes from. Because yesterday, after I dropped the stuff off behind Goodwill, I immediately parked, went inside, and spent $15 on more stuff. But it’s stuff we need, I swear. (Isn’t it always? ;)
The first thing I saw was this matted frame. I have a few vintage DC postcards I’ve wanted to gussy up and it seemed like the perfect match. (The frame was originally a chestnut color, but someone had painted it black. I paint frames black all the time, so it was nice to have the work already done. ;) I tried hanging it up a few places around the apartment, but eventually it landed next to the TV with some other framed art. I long for the days when I can bang nails into the wall without worrying about touching them up before the next move, but the freestanding display works for now.

These next guys were me thinking outside the box - big, glass candlesticks aren't something I usually buy. I walked by them about three times and stood in front of them for a full five minutes before finally taking them home. We have a couple of tight corners in our dining room that need an extra something, but I can’t hang anything on the wall because our plantation shutters swing out and block most of the space. I haven’t been quite able to sell myself on the “dead sticks in a vase” look – It’s the dust. I dread regular dusting. Imagine how I feel about dusting dead foliage – but I wasn’t sure what else to do until I saw these. Candlesticks have a purpose! I thought. These I might actually use!

I like their shape, their simplicity, and the fact that they tie in nicely with our chandelier. I’ll have to write up an apartment tour soon so it will all make more sense. (And maybe convince the huz they were a good idea, although he's giving me the benefit of the doubt for now. I tried comparing them to Philippe Starck’s Louis Ghost Chair, but then I remembered he hates Starck. My bad. ;)

I always do my best not to buy more mugs, but I’m a sucker for diner-style ones with donut shop advertising. (No one ever said I collected normal things.) These might go in my Etsy shop, or they might join my collection of vintage Dunkin Donuts mugs. I’m undecided.

This enamel saucepan pretty much leapt off the shelf into my cart. Pyrex and enameled cookware are my weakness, but I can count on one hand the number of latter pieces I’ve been able to thrift. The top is not original – this line came with matching orange enamel lids, I believe – but it fits perfectly and comes from Belgique – not a bad brand. If it was red or turquoise, this baby would be staying put, but as it is, you’ll be able to find it in my Etsy shop in the next few days.
How about you? Any good thrift store finds lately?
OOOH! Love this! Also love the marriage of old and new items in your new apartment! So pretty. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, babe! :D
ReplyDelete