Saturday, February 18, 2012

On Confusing Town Names

Years ago, during my first week at college, I was really surprised that there were so many Hokies from Austria. I remember thinking, “There must be a military base there or something. There cannot just be a random enclave of American suburbia smack in the middle of Vienna.”

Au contraire, little Sarah. It was quickly explained to me that Vienna was, in fact, American suburbia at it’s finest, smack in the middle of Northern Virginia. (Soon after this, I also learned that the Washington Redskins were not from Washington State. And who says you learn nothing at college?!)

I am thankful Vienna is not in Europe, because I had to drive up there twice this week on wedding business. (Unfortunately, I’ve learned that our apartment – lovely as it is – is not really well suited to driving anywhere. Is there any alternative to the Lee Highway? It has quickly become my nemesis.)

My friend E. is getting married in two months – you might remember the beautiful couple from here – so the bridal shower and wedding prep are in full swing! Thursday night I drove up to address shower invites with another bridesmaid – more on those soon! – and Friday afternoon I drove up again for E.’s almost-final dress fitting.

Is there anything more wonderful than seeing one of your best friends absolutely glow? No, I think not. Effortless beauty is the best kind and that girl’s got it pegged. :-*

After the fitting, we went over to Cafe Nemooneh for some overdue ‘coffee and’ time. Somehow, out of a whole wall of delicious-looking nuts and Iranian pastries, I ended up with a very unethnic raspberry cheesecake, but it was amazing all the same. The coffee was quality as well. Is there anything better than splitting a French press with a bestie? Mmm…probably not a whole lot.

Near the café was a little consignment shop called Wardrobe Rescue, so we popped in there for a few – okay, maybe more than a few – minutes before we left. Neither of us bought anything, but it was not for lack of wanting to. (I am praying that Armani Exchange jacket will still be there when it goes on sale in a few weeks!) They had a lot of nice stuff and I know we’ll be back. Definitely worth the drive, no matter how far away Vienna feels!

1 comment:

  1. Best Friday I've had all year! :D 3 cheers for living in the same state again! :D OX!

    ReplyDelete