Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cooking No. 11: Dinner Partay

We christened the new homestead last night with our first ever dinner party. It was quite the occasion: I left my coupons at home and shelled out seven bucks for a cup of pine nuts. (Oh yes, you know it's going to be a crazy night when. ;)

Cousin Emily came over early to help get things ready. We started off with a Spinach and Strawberry Salad (accented with what is apparently an endangered nut, judging by how much they charge for them) and an amazing Bacon, Apple, Bleu Cheese, and Onion Galette that my friend Elise made. (I had no idea what a galette was. She had to educate me. But it was so delicious, I don't think I'll forget!)

The apps were followed up with two, vegetarian-friendly pasta entrees: Pasta with Squash, Brown Butter, and Rosemary and Spinach and Artichoke Baked Pasta. The former is already one of my favorites, although I usually substitute a different pasta for the lasagna noodles - I can never stop the lasagna from sticking together - and leave out the pine nuts, and the latter will definitely be added to the rotation. So yummy!

I tried to make chocolate-covered strawberries for dessert, but I seized the chocolate and it ended up in the trash. (This happens to me all the time, even when I use a double boiler. Any advice?) I didn't have any more chocolate, so I ended up making a batch of Chocolate Bottom Banana Bars instead, substituting Peanut Butter M&Ms for the chocolate chips. The M&Ms sunk into the batter and melted, the way M&Ms always do when you add them too soon, but the bars were delicious, nonetheless. :)

Good good, good people, and good times. Makes a party anytime. :-*

No comments:

Post a Comment