I don’t like grocery shopping at night, and after the “Frozen Pizza Sale Incident” I swore I wouldn’t do it again, but when I discovered c. 4 p.m. yesterday that this week is “Super Double Coupon Week” at our good ol’ H.T., I knew my resolution would be short-lived. Because it’s not every week that you can get four boxes of Cheerios and a half gallon of ‘fancy’ milk (Smart Balance) for a cool five bucks. (This household keeps General Mills in business. You have no idea.)
So after dinner I set off, leaving Mr. C to his work homework, in search of cheap breakfast food. Our H.T. is a ‘city’ grocery store – small, with an elevator to an even smaller second floor – but it’s nice because it’s in a hip neighborhood. And here is something I learned last night about hip people:
They don’t cook.
They eat rotisserie chicken and premade sushi and frozen organic meals and laundry detergent. (Okay, maybe not the last one, but you get the idea.) No one was buying actual food!
I know I shouldn’t judge a person by their grocery cart – after all, mine screamed “Mother of a Five Year-Old!” which technically is true if you count Nora – and H.T. is probably not the best spot to do your ‘major’ grocery shopping at anyway, but I am always such a snoop in these situations. Why did that grumpy old man just cut me off with his detergent and frozen pizza? (The frozen pizzas again!) What's the rush? Is frat boy going to eat that entire chicken? Who actually eats pork rinds and how are they still alive?
Am I the only crazy person like this? Do you like snooping in other people’s shopping carts?
No comments:
Post a Comment