Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Culture No. 9

Newsflash!

We live in coal country. Like, where they dig it out of the ground and people still burn it to heat their houses. Because it’s cheap and domestic and that's the way they do things because that's the way it's always been done. This might seem painfully obvious to anyone who’s Pennsylvanian or Polish, but for a girl who’s only childhood experience with coal was a few close calls with Santa, this is utterly fascinating. Whenever I hear people talking about how their grandfather or great-grandfather worked in the mines, all I can think is, For reals?! My great-grandfather ran away from home and joined a minstrel show. Obviously, we must be from different planets. (Because, of course, I think most people would agree that Quebec is in a world of its own.)

I am thinking about foreign cultures because my Cuban bestie visited the Carlton B&B this past weekend with her equally Latino-fabulous BF. (Granted, being from NOVA might be even more foreign, but I'm trying to build bridges, not tear them down. Work with me here.) So in the spirit of cross-cultural learning – I am, after all, an AFS alum – I thought a little Pennsyltucky indoctrination was in order. So we did the most Pennsylvanian thing I could think of. No, we did not go to a Penn State football game. (It's May, otherwise that may have been an option.) But yes, we did go on the Lackawanna Mine Tour.

And you know what? They loved it! See? Look at the extra-cultural love! Good sports, all around!









The mine – closed in the mid-20th century – is located in Scranton’s McDade Park, just east of the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Bert brought me once years ago, but since it’s been awhile and as it FINALLY STOPPED RAINING, we thought it would be a fun way to spend a sunny, Saturday afternoon. (Yes, going underground where it is neither sunny nor dry seemed like a good idea at the time. Just roll with it. E. & A. did.)

Me & E., together again and grabbing some much-need Vitamin D before venturing underground.









The tour lasts about an hour and starts with a three-minute ride down the shaft. (I won’t lie. The rest of the tour is great, but riding in the mine cars is my favorite part. It’s like Disney World, just cheaper and without the danger of being killed by stroller-wielding tourists.) Once at the bottom, a guide takes you on a half-mile trek through the mine, explaining the history of mining in the region - with the help of some antique machines and uber-creepy mannequins - as you go. At one point, he’ll even turn the lights off, which I’m proud to say did not freak me out at all. (History Lesson: Five year-old Sarah + a guide who decided to turn all the lights off in Howe Caverns = Disaster with a very large capital D) In fact, it was even kind of cool. I know, I know! Who am I?!

If you come and visit us between April and November and do not suffer from claustrophobia, you will most likely also be brought on this tour and forced to take fun, Pennsylvanian photos like this one. Consider yourself warned.




After the tour, we continued the international fun and trundled back down to the valley for dinner at the Ipanema Grill - a Brazilian steakhouse that came highly recommended from some of Bert's coworkers. While the outside was a bit 'Scranton-fabulous,' the inside was nice and the food was amazing. We all ordered the rodizio, which - from what I can tell - is a form of protein-consumption created by men to eat as many different kinds of meat as possible before exploding. Yes, the Grill is one of those restaurants where the waiter gives you a stick to leave on the table - one end is red, the other, green - and until you turn red side up, the meat just keeps on coming. In less than thirty minutes, we were served (in no particular order): bacon-wrapped turkey, pork loin, chicken hearts, spare ribs, roast chicken, kebabs, and more cuts of beef than I knew could grow on a cow. (I also learned that I love flank steak. Like woah.)

Bert, consuming more red meat than he usually gets in six months. And loving it. What a treat! :)
















Somehow we managed to roll ourselves home and veg for the rest of the evening. It was a great weekend with some wonderful friends who we don't get to see very often and I can't wait till they come back. (Or - eek! - we visit them in NOVA.) Love you both. You are such a blessing to the both of us!

The B&B has an open schedule now! Who's next for some cultural fun?

2 comments:

  1. can i double-dip? i want to come back! the carlton b&b is THE BEST!!!!!!! :D once again, thank you and mr. c for an absolutely AMAZING weekend! i am washing my goodwill shirt tonight, btw - i hope to give it its grand debut this weekend!!! OX! OX! OX! can't wait to host the carlton's in nova!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete