Stove, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways…

Which may be, perhaps, why I love my new-to-me gas stove. The rest of my kitchen may be a disaster of 1970s proportion, but not my stove. (Okay, the fridge is also brand new, but it’s not exciting. It is your ordinary, everyday, “I will freezer burn your pirogis no matter how you cover them” fridge.) I’ve never cooked on gas before and, I’ll admit, I was a little nervous about it at first – the click-click-click always sounds vaguely bomb-like to me and my “safety switch” turned out to be the oven light – but now I’m hooked. There’s no turning back. I’ve gone to the Dark Side. If all my previous electric stoves were Geo Metros (Sorry, Dad.), than this bad boy has got to be somewhere on the “Designed for the Autobahn” level. It handles like a dream.
Granted, it has no timer, the stove top takes an eternity to boil water, and you need to disconnect the smoke alarm if you want the oven hotter than 400 degrees, but in every other facet of cooking that thing heats quickly, cools instantly, and increases my ability to cook by a factor of ten. (Or at least increases my coolness by a factor of ten. How can you not look awesome when you are cooking with fire?) How have I ever lived without a gas stove? Does everyone know about this? Perhaps I should have posted this under "New Thing of the Day" instead...
And in more exciting news, my mother and two of her sisters will be arriving tomorrow afternoon for a sleepover. If they can’t liven things up around here, no one can. Stay tuned!
No comments:
Post a Comment