
Not to sound bossy/overbearing/needy, but I do have a bit - pun intended - of an ongoing list of household chores that require either Bert's tools, muscles, height, or a combination of the three (aka "the trifecta of manliness" <3). They are not emergencies, per se. They are things that can be done whenever, as long as they're done eventually. But yesterday, well, Mr. C went all crazy and completed FIVE tasks in one fell swoop. So it seemed only proper to showcase our deluge of home improvement in its own post. The first order of business? Under cabinet lighting.
To be honest with you, I was a little surprised when Bert chose this project first. Our kitchen has two overhead fluorescent lights, but one of them only works about 25% of the time. (The landlord knows about it, but judging by the four months that have passed since we pointed it out to him, we're not getting a new fixture anytime soon.) So half of our kitchen is usually kind of dark. It hasn't been a big deal yet since we've only lived here since the spring, but I've been dreading trying to work in there all winter. So I scribbled "under cabinet lighting" onto the Honey Do list, thinking maybe I could get some rope lights or something tacked up at some point.
Lesson Learned: Never Underestimate Your Husband. Bert decided to sacrifice his college light table to the cause and showed up to the job with two, mini, fluorescent fixtures I didn't even know we had. (Unfortunately, in the process of getting the fixtures out of our basement, he discovered the table's wood casing had already been sacrificed to the ridiculous moisture downstairs. R.I.P., LightmasterVT. Your light shall shine on.)
After ditching the moldy light table, we ran into some more trouble. When Bert tried to hook up the first fixture, he discovered it was about 1/4" too long to fit under one section of our cabinets:


It was pretty simple from there on out. I marked the spots for the screws, Bert drilled some holes, and viola!



Bert's other projects - hanging curtain rods, pulling out the stove so I could clean behind it, and emptying the last few boxes from our move - were a little less exciting, but I am so glad that they are done! (And I think Bert is too. ;) Thanks, babe. You did a great job.
Anyone else work on those "Honey Do" lists this weekend?
i am curious to see a "behind-the-uncleaned-stove" photo. it seems like it would be gross and cool! :)
ReplyDeleteYou know, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. We couldn't pull it out all the way because of the gas line, but we got it out enough for me to wipe down the sides - the worst part. The floor was a little dusty behind the stove, but other than that, there was just some old ugly linoleum from before they put down our new ugly linoleum. :)
ReplyDelete