Friday, August 5, 2011

NTOTD No. 8: Running on the Forty Fort Reach

(Okay, I lie. This isn't really a new thing since I've done it before, but since I've slacked off on running since my surgery, it practically feels new. Casual Friday, right? Let's relax the rules a bit.)

Wilkes-Barre and its surrounding towns are protected by a levee that runs on both banks of the Susquehanna. Twelve miles of it (in various sections) are paved with an eight foot wide path that's open to walkers, runners, bikers, rollarbladers, AND dogs. (I love that everyone can use it. Usually these kind of paths like to exclude at least one group.) I use to run on the Kingston Reach - which went right by our old apartment - until my friend R. showed me the Forty Fort Reach on the other side of the Cross Valley Parkway. While the Kingston side gives you an up close and personal view (and smell) of visual wonders like the Kingston DPW, a spillway, abandoned commercial buildings, and a swamp, the Forty Fort Reach has nothing but trees, lawns, and the Susque on one side and the small Wyoming Valley Airport on the other. Add a beautiful morning and the Jason Isbell song below, and you've got a great start to the weekend. Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment