Thursday, August 4, 2011

Culture No. 23: Litchfield County, CT

I know my last few posts haven't been very NEPA-centered, but I couldn't resist this one. Litchfield County just has so many good memories for me. I fell in love with chocolate-frosted, rainbow-sprinkled donuts at the Winsted Dunkin Donuts at the tender age of five. I crisscrossed it many times on family trips from Albany to Shelton and lived in mortal terror of the “Beware of Falling Rock” signs on Route 8. (Okay, that wasn’t a fun at the time, but now I think it’s kind of cute.) I visited Memere and Pepere for the Bethlehem Fair and slept on their living room floor when all the cousins were in town. I spent weekends at the Abbey of Regina Laudis with some of my closest friends, listening to the beautiful chants, discussing everything under the sun with the sisters, and learning how to plant trees. Hands-down it is my favorite part of Connecticut.

A few weekends ago, Bert and I drove over to visit his aunt and uncle for the day. We spent the afternoon swimming, canoeing, and sailing, then finished off the evening with smoked ribs and steak. Mmm…such a treat. And more good memories to add to the stash.

No comments:

Post a Comment