Tuesday, July 5, 2011

NTOTD No. 7: Panko Breadcrumbs

When it comes to cooking, I am the queen of substitution. Nothing is sacred. Beef and turkey are interchangeable. Chicken broth works just as well as white wine, as does water when the grocery budget is really having a rough week. The way I see it, recipes are more like “guidelines” rather than any sort of binding law. And so far, everything’s worked out pretty well.

Exceptions

1. Peas in the Quiche. I never realized how strong a flavor peas actually have until I had to eat a multiple-pound dish of pea-flavored egg and cheese. Ugh. I’ve tried to stick to peppers and spinach since then.

2. Mozzarella in the Mac and Cheese. The consistency and texture of cheddar and mozzarella are totally different and definitely not interchangeable. Who knew?

Until recently, whenever a recipe called for panko breadcrumbs, I’d just use regular ones. Because breadcrumbs are breadcrumbs, right? Japan, Italy – does it really matter what country they’re coming from? Crumbled bread is crumbled bread.

But now, post-Christmas Tree Shop splurge on a box of Emeril’s finest, there will be no more substituting in the breadcrumb department. Panko has won me over. Why? Because they are so dang crunchy. And everyone knows that the crunchy bits are the best part of everything and anything.

Evidence

1. Ice Cream. Ice cream is extremely dull without copious bits of Oreo, cookie dough, sprinkles, nuts, etc., etc., et. al. Honestly, when was the last time you bought/ate Neapolitan? Exactly.

2. Flurries. See “ice cream.” Fact: I cannot eat a flurry without ordering “extra crunchy bits.” There is nothing grosser than a half-empty, partially melted cup of soft serve.

In fact, to be honest with you, I might switch over to panko entirely. My tube of regular breadcrumbs just seems so “skim milk” now. Thank you, Emeril, for showing me the light.

Emeril-hating employees @ the CTS? What a mean place to put the sticker...

2 comments:

  1. Have you tried olives in quiche? We love them! (black ones, esp.)

    (And, yes, I'm enjoying catching up on all your blog posts, post-my-honeymoon!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (I love all your comments, post-by-post. They are always the best! ;)

    And no, I have not tried olives. I'm generally not a fan of olives - neither is Bert - but I do like them in some things. Tapenade is always great. Maybe I will try and sneak them in. Do you use just olives or olives and something else?

    ReplyDelete