I did it. I finally did it. I gathered up every single ounce of nerve and gumption I posses, marched down the street, and signed up for a library card. Score!
That first paragraph is not as lame as it sounds if you understand my sordid history with the library system. As a little bug, I loved the library. Five year-old Sarah was probably 100% responsible for overplaying and ruining the Shenendehowa Public Library’s only vinyl copy of “Peter Cottontail.” "Peter Cottontail" was my "Baby Beluga." I just couldn't get enough.
But as I grew older, things changed. Checkout times grew shorter. Librarians got meaner. (Apparently, my face just screams, “I’m checking these books out for the sole purpose of clipping the pictures and creating collages full of teenage angst.”) And then, one day – in a small Connecticut town with particularly creepy librarians who always threatened to come after me if I didn’t return my books on time – the most traumatic thing that could ever happen to someone in a library happened to me: I witnessed a stabbing.
And by witnessed, I mean I was checking out a movie when the bloody-scissor-wielding perpetrator ran down from the upper level and yelled, “Call 911! Someone’s been stabbed!” which is pretty much the same thing as being a witness. (Ask Mama V. She was there. She wanted to wait in the car, but I was so scared to go into that library by myself even before the stabbing that I made her come in with me.) Obviously, the mean librarian wouldn’t let me check my movie out after that. And then I was almost run over in the parking lot by the responding policeman. Needless to say, that was the last time I ever went to that library. (Mama V.’s been back. They have free movies and popcorn in the summer. Like her second offspring, she’s a sucker for the free snacks. ;)
So really, voluntarily signing up for a library card is a big step for me. And so far, so good. The Hoyt Library is within walking distance of our apartment, snack-friendly (They sell snacks AND drinks at the circulation desk. GASP!), and brand-spanking new. At first I thought, Oh, how nice. The library is new. Then I found out the library is new because the roof of the former library collapsed after the Valentine’s Day Blizzard of 2007.
…
You see? Told you so. Libraries = Danger with a capital D.
Did the library move??? Why does it have a different name??
ReplyDeleteBe nice to the librarians! Otherwise, we will have to "shush" you :)
ReplyDeleteJENN GOFF IS ALIVE?!?!?!?!?!?!
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm alive goofball :)
ReplyDeleteErin: Yeah, I think the library did move. I noticed that when I googled it. It's closer to Shen now. Dad may or may not have worked on it. I think he had the chance to, but I don't remember if he got the job or not. And yes, they renamed it as well. :(
ReplyDeleteJenn: You see what I mean?!?! They've already sucked you in.
Elise: True story: when I wrote this post, I thought "I bet Jenn will have something to say about this." Glad I was right. ;) :-*
:D :D :D
ReplyDeleteLove you, Jenn! Love you, Heed!