Monday, June 27, 2011

Culture No. 14

In a rare moment of youthfulness, Bert and I stayed up way past our bedtime and went to the drive-in this past Friday. I won't lie: I have a love/hate relationship with watching movies outdoors on the big screen. Yes, they are terribly nostalgic and super cheap, but I always (without fail) end up sleeping halfway through the second movie and waking up with an incredibly sore backside. This, my friends, I could do on the comfort of my own couch.

But there is something very romantic about camping out in your hatchback, bingeing on chocolate bars and potato chips, and watching Cars 2 with a parking lot full of rambunctious children and leering teenagers. (I slept through about 75% of Pirates, so I really don't feel comfortable in saying I "watched it.") Bert and I both agreed it was not one of Pixar's finest, although our opinion may have been swayed by the fact that (*Spoiler Alert*) the bad guy turned out to be a Jeep/Landrover hybrid. Our second child (after the cat, of course) is a 1986 CJ-7. Evil off-roaders don't really fly in this family.

Regardless, it was a fun night and we both ended up sleeping in till about 10:30 the next morning. A new family record? You better believe it!

I've discovered that the more I edit photos, the more pixelated the become. Picnick, you've been so great - don't let me down!















Why yes, we did manage to park behind my only Saturn twin in the entire parking lot. Got to <3 the Tupperware!















Bert discovers that Geoff the Mazda does not come equipped with any sort of tie-down or hook. I guess "drive-in neighbor friendliness" is not a design consideration in Japan.














*First drive-in date ever!*

No comments:

Post a Comment