In other crafty news, my sewing machine finally crossed the Poconos a few weeks ago and has been humming ever since. (Translation: I am still oh-so-slowly schlepping my stuff out of my parents’ house.) The first project up to bat? Bathroom curtains.
The bathroom and the kitchen were the only two rooms in our apartment that didn't have blinds, which is ironic considering they're also the only two rooms that really need them. (The bathroom, for obvious reasons; the kitchen, because it faces our very-public parking lot and provides a very clear view straight into the bathroom.) When we first moved in, I threw up whatever curtains I had just to give us a little privacy. Hence, I give you, our bathroom “before”:
I originally made these curtains for my bedroom in Massachusetts, which is why they’re so long. I still love the fabric (and it was expensive!), so I refused to hem or cut it because I knew it was only a short-term fix. So once the ol’ sew-er crossed state lines, I measured up the window, grabbed a Jo-Ann’s coup, and went to town:

A work in progress, but so much better! Our bathroom suffers from age and awkwardness (so please excuse the dinginess and the "how much crap can we shove in this alcove" look), but it's getting there! The plastic cabinet was here when we moved and - looks aside - provides some much-needed storage space. The ironing board holder was our own addition because - let's face it - after Bert scored the iron of his dreams off our registry, there was no way that bad boy was being stored in the basement.
The fabric was Jo-Ann's house brand and cost a grand total (on sale) of $4 for 1.5 yards. The vase is from Crate & Barrel via my favorite Farmington Valley consignment shop. I don't know what the flowers are. I cut them off a random bush in our front yard because everybody knows that all good bloggers have flowers in their photos. Duh.
My next project (Completion: TBD) for the bathroom is to find a table to go over the hampers. (And to buy another matching brown hamper from Target. That woven basket has followed me around since college like a bad nickname.) Right now the only flat surfaces in the bathroom are the back of the toilet, the toilet seat, and the floor, so we desperately need a bit of extra room! I've been keeping an eye out at thrift stores and tag sales, but I think I might be better off just making one/asking Bert to make one for me. We have some leftover shelving boards laying around that have miraculously escaped my craigslist purges. I am thinking of cutting one of those down and adding some Ikea legs. Viola! Instant table. Any thoughts?
No comments:
Post a Comment