I haven’t written any cooking posts lately because, in the epic words of Mama V., “It is just too hot to cook.” I never really understood that statement until now, but can I just say (and you can quote me on this): my mother is absolutely right! Apparently (at least in my case), the correlation between a 350-degree oven and a hot, sticky, summertime kitchen does not make sense until you are actually the one preparing the food. Thankfully, Bert is quite happy subsisting on a diet of burgers, hot dogs, and pizza – basically, anything I don’t have to stand around and actually cook – but this week the Trophy Wife gene kicked in and I felt obliged to throw the poor guy a culinary bone.
A few months ago, when I was hanging out with my fellow almost-Trophy Wife Martha, I found this recipe in her magazine. (CT girlz got to stick together, ya know?) Due to the fact that I know absolutely nothing about chard other than it is green (which was more than Bert, who still recovering from his introduction to artichokes the night before), I wasn’t quite sure what a Sausage, Chard, and Lemon Lasagna would taste like, but the photo looked like a work of art and suckered me right in. Swiss chard, you've met your match!
Okay, so maybe it wasn’t that epic. Chard seems to be some sort of glorified spinach. Compared to the trouble I had with leeks a few weeks back (Question: How do you cut a leek?), it was an absolute breeze. My real, unforeseen problem? Cooking the lasagna noodles.
The rest of the recipe went fairly smoothly and my final product even came out looking somewhat like Martha’s, minus the pretty hand towel, luxury stone countertop, and browned cheese. (30 seconds into broiling the top, I remembered you can't broil Pyrex. So we made do with slightly-warm cheese.) The lasagna tasted great (Bert had seconds. That’s how I tell.) and I'd definitely make it again. The lemon gave it a nice tang and the sausage was a lot cheaper than more conventional ground beef.
that looks AMAZING! yum!
ReplyDelete