I have a confession to make.
…
Sometimes I am a bad trophy wife.
Not a terrible trophy wife, mind you. After all, we’ve only been married three months and I’ve yet to do something like drain the bank account or – knock-on-wood – crash the Mazda. But sometimes (aka this past weekend) I do play “Read My Mind Or Die” or some equally rigged, hormone-fueled mind game and am eventually forced to own up to the fact that sometimes I’m not very nice.
Thankfully, Bert is patient and loving and forgives me, but I’ve learned that sometimes it helps to have something to sweeten the deal/earn future “Bad Mood Indulgences.” Take, for example, our conversation from this past weekend:
Me: I’m sorry I was mean and refused to give you directions home from the gas station. [Long story. Don’t ask.] Will you forgive me?
Bert: Yes, I love you. I forgive you.
Me: Did I mention there’s a B-29 Superfortress practically in my parent’s backyard? Let’s go spend the afternoon looking at it and three other hangers full of planes and jeeps.
Bert: For real? You are the best wife ever! Were we fighting? I don’t even remember. Wow, you’re swell. And beautiful. I am the luckiest man alive.
Okay, so maybe I have never heard Bert say swell, but that was the essence of our conversation. And yes, I shamelessly distracted my husband away from my own shortcomings by bringing him to the New England Air Museum while we were in Connecticut this past weekend. And it worked like a charm. (He distracted me from his own shortcomings by buying me a box of Munson's truffles. It also worked like a charm. One that is currently almost gone.)

The museum is pinched between Bradley Airport and the CT Air National Guard Base on a back road that looks like the TSA will arrest you just for looking at it. I’d been there once before, but it’s been awhile. (Not that it makes a difference. I am unable to ID anything less ugly than a Warthog.) This was Bert's first trip - am I a bad trophy wife for not bringing him sooner? - and he really enjoyed it, even with two-birthday-parties worth of children hogging all the open cockpits and flight simulators.


No comments:
Post a Comment