I have very little musical talent outside of the bathroom or the car, but (/confession time) I've always wanted to teach a children's Sunday School class with music drawn solely from R.E.M., Cake, and Guster albums. This is probably precisely why no one's ever let me teach a class of young impressionables, but still - don't tell me R.E.M.'s "Stand" would not make a fantastic, get-up-and-do-the-motions singalong. (Watch the video. I wouldn't even have to choreograph a dance!) And Guster's "Two at a Time" would be the perfect accompaniment to a lesson on Noah, especially since the album version even has a children's choir in the background. (The live Youtube version is a little rough, but Mr. Gardner finds the right note eventually. Promise.) Cake's "Sheep Go To Heaven" might be better for slightly older children, but after watching the music video, I think I might skip that lesson entirely. (Youtube it if you're curious. You'll see what I mean.) Or better yet, just stick with Sunday School Curriculum 101. Obviously, there is a reason I've never made it past herding the 'Waddlers.' Oh well. ;)
But along those lines, Pandora played R.E.M.'s "Talk About the Passion" this morning, a song I'd never heard before but instantly liked. Apparently, it was the band's (unsuccessful) attempt at a "hunger song," but it also seemed appropriate for this Easter weekend. I just watched the movie The Passion for the first time ever Thursday night - I know. I'm way behind the bandwagon. Won't be the first or the last time either, I can assure you. - so the complete agony that accompanied the first Easter is fresh on my mind. (I've seen the Jesus film once or twice and attended a handful of Easter plays, but Mr. Gibson takes the reality of crucifixion to a whole new level.) It's unbelievable, really, what humans are capable of and how there is still a God good enough to even want to save us. Good Friday indeed - talk about the understatement of the millennia.
Happy Easter, all! I hope you have a wonderful weekend full of family, friends, and 'talks about the Passion,' however they may come about. :-*
No comments:
Post a Comment