("Cooking" as in "other people who cook for me." So maybe this post should really be filed under "Eating." ;)
It feels like real winter here today - Wind, flurries, and everything! - so after spending a cold morning touring Mt. Vernon with my sister, I've tried to spend the afternoon as close to a cup of hot coffee and/or tea as possible. Sister V. (who has informed me she appreciates my thinly-veiled attempts to protect her identity ;) came down on the train Saturday night and left this afternoon, taking the warm weather with her back to New England. (A first, I know.)
When she got here on Saturday, the weather was beautiful. After Mr. C and I picked her up at Union Station, we walked around Old Town for hours without our coats, even after the sun went down. We hit up a new cupcakery (My review is forthcoming!), a great consignment shop, and Anthro (of course), before heading back down King Street to BRABO Tasting Room for dinner.
We picked this particular restaurant because Mr. C and I had an anniversary gift card from Mama and Papa V. for any place in the entire Kimpton chain. It seemed like a balanced mix of good food in an unpretentious atmosphere. (I find fancy restaurants a little overwhelming sometimes, you know? Gourmet food tastes better when I'm wearing jeans.) They don't take reservations, so when we arrived there was a 45 minute wait. No problem. They have a little grocer next door called The Butcher's Block where you can take a seat and order a glass of wine or a cheese plate. Of which we did all three. ;)

Sister V. and I both ordered a glass of Ponga Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough, New Zealand, which has the distinction of being the first Sauv I've ever liked. (I lived in Marlborough for a year, so I always try to keep my dislike of Sauv on the DL. Got to stay loyal, no matter what. ;) Sister V. even got a bottle to go!

Our cheese plate was a trio of cheddar, goat cheese, and a hard, local cheese, and was served with jam, dried fruit, and a bowl of do-you-want-a-refill (Yes!!!) baguette slices. Delish! None of it lasted very long, which was a shame because the tables in the restaurant stopped turning over and our 45 minute wait quickly turned into two hours. The host was wicked annoyed (and had a few choice words for people who stay at their tables after paying the bill ;) and gave us all a free glass of sparkling wine to keep us occupied. (I was kind of hoping for more cheese, but you know... Free is free! No complaints here!)

A table opened up just in time - we were seriously discussing jetting over to Five Guys before they closed - and we settled in for dinner around 10 p.m. We ordered a House Made Italian Sausage Tart (aka a mini sausage pizza) as an appetizer and a round of sandwiches for our entrees: Hot Roasted Beef, Veal Meatball, and a Croque Monsieur. I thought the sausage was a little bland - although it was Mr. C's fav - and the Croque Monsieur a little salty, but overall everything was fresh, hot, and tastefully put together. Yum!
My only real complaint? After having The Butcher's Block pretty much to ourselves, the restaurant seemed too loud and a little cramped. Next time I'm thinking we'll just go earlier and order sammies (and that amazing cheese!) on the grocer side. My own private restaurant? Yes, please! Thanks for the awesome gift, Mom and Dad!
No comments:
Post a Comment