For all the time we’ve spent in Old Town over the past month, there were/are still a lot of little shops I wanted to check out. So I booked the husband for lunch and made a day of it. I took the bus to the Metro station, grabbed a roast beef sammie at The Butcher’s Block for me (I’m hooked!), a coffee at Starbucks for Mr. C, and met him on Market Square for a picnic in the sun. (He refused to eat any of my sandwich, because apparently the peanut butter ones I make are just that good. What a cowboy.) The sandwich was delicious, of course, although I mistook the cheese for dried mangoes at first because I’ve never had hard cheese in a sandwich before. I felt decidedly low brow after that. (Is this like the new thing?)

But by far the most dangerous moment of the day was when I ventured into the Crate & Barrel Outlet. It’s not on King Street, which is why I’ve never seen it before, but Sister V. spotted it earlier this week on our way to the Metro station. Egads. Who knew they even made Crate & Barrel Outlets?! Why does her eyesight have to be so good?!
When I walked in, all I could think of was this:
But of course I didn't listen. ;)
Unlike most outlets nowadays, this actually was an outlet. Everything was seriously discounted: dishware, scratch and dent furniture, and leftover not-quite-so-seasonal-anymore merchandise. But by far the most deadly part of the store was the fabric counter. Why? Because they sell Marimekko fabric for $4 a yard. Let me do the math for you: that is 90% off retail, folks. Translation: I'm going to need a bigger sewing machine. And a dedicated room for all the new projects swirling around inside my head. ;)
Thankfully, I had to leave the store without buying anything in order to make it to the bus stop on time, but it doesn't matter. The damage has been done. Watch out, CBO. I'll be back!
All of our wedding paper came from that Paper Source in Old Town. That's one of the few things I miss about living in Alexandria - the fun shops on King Street (I worked at the Queen Street library when we lived there) and the Smithsonian museums :) Outside of those things, you can keep the rest! Keep us in mind if you're up for a weekend trip to Williamsburg though...
ReplyDeleteYour equally pasty former roommate :)
Awesome! I didn't know that! :) I went to the Paper Source in Reston and I didn't like it as much. I know it's all the same stuff, but I think the King St. one is just a tad bigger. ;) We will have to bug you for a Wburg trip. It'd be good to see both of you. It's been forever!
ReplyDelete