Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Admin

Tomorrow afternoon I leave for Mozambique, so the posting will be a little light (aka nonexistent) around here for a few weeks. The past few days have been wicked crazy - evacuating, packing, tieing up loose ends, general running around like a maniac - so I'm really excited to finally get on the...er...road. Air? You know what I mean...

However, even though we haven't left yet, I've already had Miracle #1. This afternoon, I abruptly realized that my doctor prescribed me the wrong kind of malaria medicine and immediately went into a frenzied panic. (Why didn't I double-check this weeks ago? Good question...) I was prescribed the night-terror-inducing (but cheap) Doxycycline instead of the sleeping-friendly (but pricey) Malarone. Crapcakes. I called the travel clinic in PA, explained the whole situation, and asked if they could call in the prescription to a pharmacy in CT. The woman wasn't sure if she could, but she went out of her way to check and it worked! (She will be receiving a thank you card upon my return. :)

So after some much-needed and very-calming tea, brownies, and chit-chat with my friend J., I ran to Target and got there just before the pharmacy closed. I wasn't sure if my out-of-state insurance would work, but I gave it to the woman just for kicks and prayed for the best. I knew Malarone usually runs upwards of $150, but our trip leaders had asked us not to take Doxycycline and I had no desire to risk two weeks of bad dreams. The pharmacist went behind the counter for a few minutes to fill it, then looked up at me and said: "Well, I've never seen this before."

(That's one of those things you never want to hear from anyone remotely connected to the medical profession.) I nervously replied, "Oh? You never saw what before?"

"Your insurance acutally covers this. I've never seen an insurance company cover this before."

Hot dog! I don't know why a Pennsyltucky insurance company would be concerned about their clients contracting malaria - the mozzies from the Susque aren't that bad - but I'll take a $25 co-pay over a $183 prescription any day. Thank you, Lord. He truly stays one step ahead of me. <3

(And thank you, Bert, for working hard for that insurance that covers your globe-trotting woman. I'll miss you. XO.)

1 comment: